Postmortem Tax Planning
Postmortem tax planning begins with the death of the taxpayer and ends with the final distribution of his or her estate. Our Postmortem Tax Planning attorneys at the Dobson Law Group provide postmortem tax planning services to individuals, executors, trustees, and businesses in Greenville and throughout the Upstate of South Carolina. We work to develop postmortem and estate planning strategies to carry out the decedent’s estate plan, minimize tax liability and address circumstances not considered during their lifetime.
The tax laws governing post-mortem tax planning are complex and continue to evolve. Our experienced Tax Planning lawyers work our clients to determine the most beneficial course of action with the goal of asset preservation and wealth succession while limiting taxes and liability. We provide comprehensive post-mortem estate and tax planning services in collaboration with estate planning and asset protection strategies. Every client situation is unique and requires a custom-tailored solution designed to address goals and individual requirements. We are experienced in utilizing a broad array of post-mortem tax strategies, considerations, and options including:
Postmortem Tax Planning Strategies, Techniques and Options
- Determining federal tax liabilities of a decedent
- Postmortem impact of the federal income tax
- Income and deductions in respect of a decedent
- Deferral of Estate Tax Payments, Section 6166 election
- Partnership Basis Adjustments
- Qualified Terminable Interest Property (QTIP) election
- Planning for debts and expenses of administration
- Alternate Valuation
- Valuation; estate assets, elections, special use
- Federal estate tax exclusion elections
- Deferred payment of federal estate tax
- Post-death planning for interests in partnerships and limited liability companies
- Post-death planning for interests in closely held corporations
- Post-death planning for the generation-skipping transfer (GST) tax
- Stock redemption
- Planning for death benefits
- Planning estate and trust distributions
- Elections by a surviving spouse
- Reformation of wills and trusts
We are a multidisciplinary post-mortem tax planning practice with deep estate planning and asset protection experience. Postmortem planning decisions have tax implications and consequences that may continue for years until the death of the surviving spouse, final payment of deferred federal estate tax or last GST from a trust. We can help you make the right choices by implementing the right post-mortem tax strategy.
Consult a South Carolina Tax Planning & Postmortem Tax Attorney in Greenville
Our Postmortem Tax Planning attorneys at the Dobson Law Group work with individuals, families, executors, trustees and businesses to develop postmortem and estate planning strategies to carry out the decedent’s estate plan, minimize tax liability and address circumstances not considered during their lifetime.
The Dobson Law Group provides Tax Planning & Postmortem Tax Planning attorney legal services to clients in Greenville County and throughout South Carolina including Abbeville, Anderson, Cherokee, Greenwood, Laurens, Lexington, Newberry, Oconee, Pickens, Richland, Spartanburg, and Union County. We are licensed in South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, and Georgia.